Septic tanks and treatment plants need emptying more frequently than they used to because we now fill them up faster with water, chemicals and detergents from washing machines, dishwashers and baths than we used to. This stops the bacteria that digest sewage from doing their job, so solids build up quickly. If left uncleared, this can lead to unseen damage that may be difficult, if not impossible, to put right.
Empty your septic tank once a year
To stop this happening, you should have your septic tank or treatment plant emptied once a year and no less than every two. If your water table is high, you will need to do this more often. If you can’t remember the last time your septic tank or treatment plant was emptied, it almost certainly needs doing.
After 2020, the Environment Agency will expect you to have your septic tank or treatment plant cleared annually and to keep a record of doing so.
And if you’ve recently bought a property with a septic tank or treatment plant, make emptying it a top priority, as you can never be sure when this was last done. We can do any repairs that need doing.
Call us if you see these telltale signs
- Persistent bad smells. While a temporary blockage or rush of water from a bath, washing machine or shower could cause these, if they hang around, your tank or treatment plant probably needs emptying.
- Blocked or slow moving drains that don’t respond to a chemical cleaner.
- Toilets not flushing properly with water regularly backing up.
- Discoloured water pooling on the ground. When solid waste clogs your system’s pipework, foul liquid is forced to the surface and this is what you are seeing.
- Lush grass in and around your septic tank could mean waste isn’t draining away effectively
Book an appointment
At some point, you may need to replace your septic tank. When you do, we can either install a new one or fit a modern treatment plant instead that produces much cleaner water. This may be your best option, particularly with new Environment Agency regulations governing the disposal of liquid waste and sewage.
To get your septic tank and treatment plant emptied and cleaned, or to find out about installing a new one, call us on 01432 353888 or email email@example.com.